$1.64 Billion Alkimos Seawater Desalination Plant Set for Perth, Commencement on the Horizon
Western Australia is facing a critical need for a new water source…
12 October 2023
In a significant development for the Queensland transportation landscape, the Albem Operations Pty Ltd and SGQ Pty Ltd Joint Venture have secured the tender for the much-anticipated upgrades on Townsville Connection Road. This transformative project, valued at $96 million, is poised to bring about substantial improvements to Stuart Drive, the local name for this crucial artery. The upgrade will encompass a four-lane expansion, extending from University Road to the iconic Bowen Road Bridge.
The project scope is nothing short of ambitious, addressing key aspects of traffic management and safety:
1. Four Lanes of Progress: Stuart Drive is set to undergo a remarkable transformation, expanding to four lanes to alleviate congestion and enhance traffic flow.
2. Replacing the Roundabout: The project will replace the roundabout at the intersection of Townsville Connection Road and Mervyn Crossman Drive/Fairfield Waters Drive with a modern, signalised intersection. This change promises not only enhanced safety but also increased efficiency in traffic management.
3. Safety Enhancements: Safety for pedestrians and cyclists will receive a significant boost with signalisation planned for the Gartrell Drive and Kokoda Street intersections. Wider paths, improved connections, and safer crossings are part of the comprehensive safety upgrades.
Benefits for All
But what does this mean for the residents and commuters of Townsville? The project’s impacts are far-reaching and promising:
1. Smoother Commutes: Improved traffic flow will mean reduced travel times and a more seamless daily commute for the 24,000 vehicles that traverse this area each day.
2. Enhanced Safety: Safety is a top priority. The upgrades will provide a safer environment for all road users, including pedestrians, cyclists, and motorists.
3. Better Access: Improved access to essential services for schoolchildren, as well as users of the nearby sports and shopping precincts, will further enhance the quality of life in the region.
A Milestone for Townsville
Queensland Transport and Main Roads Minister Mark Bailey highlighted the significance of awarding this tender, referring to it as a major milestone for the project. With the sheer volume of 24,000 vehicles navigating this area daily, the project’s efficiency benefits will be a welcome relief, reducing congestion and travel time.
The Albem Operations Pty Ltd & SGQ Pty Ltd Joint Venture brings a wealth of experience to the table. Their track record includes successful delivery on several projects in partnership with the Department of Transport and Main Roads (TMR), such as the Pacific Motorway Upgrade – Burleigh to Palm Beach (Gold Coast), the Bruce Highway Haughton River Floodplain Upgrade (Giru), and the Captain Cook Highway Smithfield Bypass (Cairns).
Commencement of works is slated for this month, heralding the beginning of a transformative journey for Townsville Connection Road. Keep an eye on the horizon, as this upgrade promises to usher in a new era of improved transportation, safety, and accessibility for the entire Townsville community.