So, you’ve landed a job offer… What next?September 20, 2017
Getting a job offer is a very exciting experience. However, before you jump at the opportunity, it is important to carefully consider your next move.
Here are a few tips:
- Try not to accept the job offer immediately. Instead, ask the employer when they will need your answer.
- Once a job offer is accepted, it should be honoured. You shouldn’t take an offer just because it’s your first. Weigh your options before accepting.
- Once you have accepted the job offer, consider sending a thank-you email to your new employer. This will help to create a positive working relationship.
If you’ve been interviewing with a number of different employers, there is a high chance you’ll receive more than one offer.
Here are some things to keep in mind:
- It is fine to let an employer know if you’re interviewing elsewhere. Knowing there is competition could encourage the employer to make a more attractive offer. It also gives the employer confidence that your decision to join their organisation would be well considered.
- Once you’ve received your first job offer, thank the company very much and then ask when they require a response by. Most companies will respect the need to take some time to mull over the details before coming back to them with any queries. This will give you a window of opportunity to consider the other offers that may be presented.
- Make a list of pros and cons for each job offer. You will then be able to see the differences more clearly and make a more informed decision.
- Consider the long-term benefits of each job offer, not just the immediate ones.